Azithromycin for the treatment of bronchitis
Effectiveness in the treatment of bronchitis in adults
A pathogenic microflora that activates an inflammation of the mucous membrane of bronchi is often a cause of the acute bronchitis in adults in more than 50% of cases. The originators of the acute condition of the chronic bronchitis become staphylococci, Pseudomonas Aureginosa, and pneumococci. The acute bronchitis often leads to the secondary infection, and it may cause pneumonia, or the disease may turn into chronic.
To have an effective antibacterial therapy during bronchitis, scientists recommend taking Azithromycin. One of the causes is a broad pharmacological action. This antibiotic is active as to:
- Gram-positive bacteria: some types of streptococci, and staphylococci
- Gram-negative microorganisms: Bordetella, affecting bronchi, Haemophilus influenza, and legionella
- Some anaerobic bacteria: Mycoplasma pneumonia is a germ of the pulmonary diseases including bronchitis.
A peculiarity of Azithromycin is a representation of a completely new group of the antibiotics, and bacteria have a low resistance to this ingredient. For example, Haemophilus influenza and Moraxella often lead to an acute bronchitis, and they are resistant to penicillin antibiotics. Pneumococci are lately more resistant to penicillin medications. Azithromycin is the only antibiotic which has a similar index of the pharmacological safety as penicillins.
Therefore, the efficiency of Azithromycin achieves more than 90% in the bronchitis treatment, if the microflora of the originator is vulnerable to the antibiotic, and the treatment is started as soon as possible.
Pharmacokinetics of Zithromax
The actual substance of Zithromax is Azithromycin. It is characterized by a fast absorption in the gastro-intestinal tract. Due to this, the peak concentration of the actual substances is achieved in 3 hours after the use of a single dose of 500 mg. But the drug better penetrates into the tissues, including the tissues of the respiratory tracts. That is why, the concentration of Azithromycin is by 20-30 times higher in the tissues than in the blood.
The peculiarity of the drug is binding to leucocytes that transfer the antibiotic to the inflammatory process. For then, the severer the inflammatory process is, the more Azithromycin is accumulated in these tissues. Consequently, the efficiency of the therapy grows and it is possible to faster inhibit the activity of the microorganisms.
Due to a long-term half-life of Azithromycin from the blood plasma, short therapeutic courses are used. The antibiotic keeps its activity within 72 hours from the moment of the dose use. And 3-5-day-therapy gives a good effect, and the toxicity for the body is almost zero.
Azithromycin is excreted with bile but kidneys also take part. Due to this, patient with dysfunction of kidneys should adjust the daily dose.
Dosage of Zithromax during bronchitis
The disease severity and type of the bronchitis impact a Zithromax dose:
- Adult patients over 12 with acute bronchitis are prescribed a pill of Zithromax 500 mg per day within 3 days
- A general course dose should not exceed 1500 mg.
If an acute type of bronchitis is severe, the complications appear, the dose is increased and 500 mg is taken 2 times per day within 3 days. The course dose should be 3000 mg in this case.
It is pointless to take the antibiotic more than 3 days because it increases a load on the organs taking part in metabolism of Azithromycin, and the efficiency of the therapy will not be improved.
Features of reception Zithromax for bronchitis
- Zithromax may be taken only if bronchitis is caused by the infectious originators. If a cause of this inflammatory disease is viral infection, the use of Zithromax is pointless.
- If chronic bronchitis, Zithromax 500 mg is taken due to recrudescence of the symptoms. The use of the drug for prophylaxis is ineffective.
- Children are prescribed Zithromax only if chronic chesty cough does not pass within 2-3 weeks, and there is a risk of an infection and a severe bronchi inflammation.
- Taking Zithromax antibiotic, it is necessary to take a pill of the antifungal drug fluconazole in the dose of 150 mg every 3 days. It will help to avoid an attack of candidiasis of the mucous membranes.
- The pill of Zithromax should be taken with a glass of clear water. Grapefruit and grape juice, and milk will not do.
The antibacterial bronchitis therapy should include the use of the expectorant drugs that help to excrete sputum from the bronchi. It is important because the pathogenic microflora increasing the inflammation is released with sputum.