The drug Azithromycin in the treatment of urethritis: description and instructions for use
What is urethritis and causes of the disease?
Urethritis is an inflammatory disorder of the urinary tract and may appear in men and women. As the female urinary tract is shorter, a probability of an infection is higher. However, the disease may be latent in women, and the symptoms may be absent for a long period.
Men face urethritis more rarely, but the symptoms are more intensive and the complications are severer if the treatment is neglected.
The disease may be divided into 2 groups:
In about 78% of cases, urethritis is caused by the pathogenic microflora that penetrates into the urinary tract. There are two types of the infectious urethritis that differs by the infectious agents:
- Specific infectious urethritis penetrates into urethra: gonococci, gardnerella, chlamydia, trichomonas, and others;
- Non-specific infectious urethritis caused by the morbific microorganisms staphylococci, collibacillus, streptococci.
Infectious origin of the urethritis appears as a result of:
- Damage of the urinary tract;
- Angulation of the urinary tract;
- Development of an allergic reaction and structure;
- Disorder of the blood circulation and congestions in the area of the excretory system.
The non-infectious urethritis sometimes turns into infectious one due to the neglected treatment because the pathogenic microflora penetrates into the inflammatory process and infects the tract.
The urethritis has unpleasant symptoms:
- Pain and burning during urination;
- Discharges from urethra;
- Bleeding from urethra during urination;
The urinary tract recrudesces after the infection, the urethritis symptoms appear but the disease continues developing. If the acute state of the disease, the inflammation may go further and achieve the prostatic gland, urinary bladder, and scrotum in men. Serious and dangerous complications may happen as a result of the appeared infection.
Zithromax (Azithromycin) - an effective drug to deal with urethritis
The urethritis treatment is based on the clinical presentation of a patient. If the disease has a bacterial origin, antibiotics and products with anti-inflammatory action are prescribed that may neutralize the action of the malignant bacteria and restore a normal painless urination.
One of the most demanded and effective medications for the treatment of the infectious urethritis is Zithromax (Azithromycin). The privilege of Azithromycin is its broad action that works for most originators of urethritis.
As urethritis is a consequence of the sexually-transmitted infections, Azithromycin is an indispensable medication. It inhibits the activity of Neisseria gonorrhoeae, Gardnerella vaginalis, Chlamydia trachomatis, Ureaplasma urealyticum, Haemophilus ducreyi.
Azithromycin is also effective as to most streptococci infections.
Advantages of Zithromax in comparison with other antibiotics:
- Azithromycin is accumulated in cytoplasm and phagolysosome – a life environment of chlamydia, mycoplasma, and legionella. These microorganisms often become a cause of the urethritis.
- The ability to inhibit a replication of the atypical and intracellular pathogenic agents that are not vulnerable to most antibiotics.
- The highest level of the penetration into leukocytes, and it gives the maximal antibacterial effect.
- A long-term period of half-life. A single dose of Azithromycin keeps the therapeutic effect within 72 hours.
- Effective solo therapy. A patient is not prescribed the additional medications to increase the effect, and it reduces the load on the liver.
Using Zithromax, you affect the originators of the urethritis, and the basic cause of this disease. This way, the repeated infection or a relapse of the disease after the reduced symptoms are avoided.
Zithromax belongs to the antibacterial drugs for the urethritis of the first type, and therefore it is prescribed during the first symptoms of the disease, before having the blood tests.
If a patient has the peculiar symptoms of the infectious urethritis (discharges from urethra, high body temperature, progressing pain during urination), consult a doctor and start the treatment. this way, you will avoid a development of the infection and complications.
If urethritis has a non-infectious origin, Zithromax is pointless as a prophylaxis. It especially comes to men who have a high risk of an infection and an attack of the disease.
The course of Azithromycin therapy
Zithromax is a medication to treat urethritis because a single dose is enough in order to neutralize the action of bacteria.
If the urethritis has a non-complicated form and the treatment has been started during the first symptoms of the disease, it is enough to take 1g Zithromax. If the symptoms do not pass within 3 days after the use of the single dose, a course treatment is required.
The course therapy is prescribed during the complicated types of the urethritis, or when several infections are the agents.
The scheme of the antibacterial therapy of urethritis:
- 500 mg daily dose;
- Dose timing: 1 hours before meals, in 2 hours after meals.
If the disease symptoms are not improved within 7 days, and the disease patterns are not changed, a duration of the treatment is increased up to 14 days. It is the maximally possible period of the Azithromycin application.
If the complicated urethritis, the treatment is prescribed with the dose of 1 g the first day, and then 500 mg per day is taken, and the standard scheme of the treatment is followed.